Yung Gravy to headline Spring Concert 2023

Brooke J. Freundschuh, Editor-in-chief

American “meme-rapper” Yung Gravy will headline the 2023 Spring Concert at the University of North Alabama. 

The selection comes after UNA’s University Program Council switched to a new agency for booking entertainment following complications with last year’s concert. 

Students share mixed reviews and opinions of the Spring Concert selection. Many students, including several international students, expressed disappointment, because they had never heard of the artist. Others are overjoyed that Yung Gravy will be performing on campus. 

“Thank God,” said student Drew McDonald, when asked what his thoughts were on the Spring Concert artist selection. 

Another student commented that while she was not excited, she was not opposed to the selection and would be attending because all of her friends were. 

“I think it’s weird that he’s coming, but I’m down with it,” she said. 

Another student shares that while Yung Gravy would not have been his pick, he appreciates the free event being held for UNA students. 

“His music is okay,” said student Bricen Tapscott. “I’m just not that interested in seeing him, but it’s a concert.” 

Long-time fans Rady Smith and Miranda Haithcock share that the Spring Concert will be the third time they have seen Yung Gravy in concert and that he is one of their favorite live performers. 

“It is such a fun show,” said Haithcock. “Even if you don’t listen to him, it’s fun. The first time I went I didn’t listen to him and [the concert] made me want to listen to him more.” 

“He is the sweetest human ever,” said Smith, who met him at one of his concerts. 

The Spring Concert will take place at Flowers Hall on April 20. Tickets are available online for UNA students starting March 1. They will go on-sale to the general public March 7. 

““I’m so thrilled that Yung Gravy is coming to UNA,” said UPC Productions Promoter Mallory Campbell. “I have been working on Spring Concert before school started and I know all of UPC is ready to put on one of the best Spring Concerts UNA has seen!”