Student athletes held to higher standards

Many players may undergo frustrations and issues throughout their athletic career; however, officials said it is important that player guidelines are followed considering that student athletes are held to a higher expectation by their athletic directors, as well as fellow students.

Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach Daniel Presel said student athletes have more of a microscope zoomed on them in terms of reputation than normal students. He also said that it is rare for misconducts to occur and is fortunate of the well-disciplined students in the athletic program.

“College athletes are different from high school athletes,” he said. “They should already know that it comes down to doing the right thing.”

A typical mishap would be a player showing up late to class in which the entire team would have to do running drills.

“We want our team to work together as a whole, so it is necessary that they are held accountable for an individual player’s actions,” Presel said.

Any other bad incident involving the player would result in a strike. A dismissal may also be given if the misdemeanor is done more than once.

Presel believes that most athletic transgressions derive from miscommunications that can be resolved.

Although freshman and student athlete Kaseema Ashbourne has had her share of mishaps throughout her women’s basketball career, she has learned to grow and resolve what frustrations she has outside of the basketball court. Throughout her entire athletic career, Ashbourne only had two incidents that would be classified as player misconducts.

“They were merely misunderstandings,” Ashbourne said. “I regret them but in a way, they were just obstacles that I have already overcame.”

Coming from a private school, Ashbourne said she would not be one to get into much trouble. However, she does recall the consequences of her recent misconduct back in September of 2011.

“It just an issue between me and my fellow teammate in our dorm,” Ashbourne said. “After our mishap, Residence Life contacted our coaches about the situation.”

Ashbourne and her teammate had to do 10 hours of community service, which consisted of playing games with the elderly in a rehab facility.

“I still had fun doing it.” Ashbourne said.

Both also had to run extra drills demanded by their coaches.

“My coaches are like our second parents,” Ashbourne said. “So they were a bit disappointed in us because they want us to keep in mind to that we have to work together as a team.

Presel said that everyone has to be held accountable for what they do.

“It is vital for players to do the right thing,” Presel said. “If they were to do something that would be considered wrong, it would affect if not anything else, their performance in the game.”

Ashbourne thinks many athletes should think before they take action.

“It affects more than just yourself,” Ashbourne said. “It affects your family as well the people the people around you.”