Students commemorate life of freshman

Members of Kappa Sigma fraternity and administrators at UNA pulled together to host a memorial service Tuesday night for Chad Silcox, a member of Kappa Sigma who passed away during the winter holidays.

Silcox was severely burned outside his family home due to a gas explosion while he was burning leaves on Dec. 24. He died at UAB Hospital the day after Christmas.

Silcox was remembered by many of his fraternity brothers, as well as administrators, at the candlelight memorial service. Kappa Sigma brothers shared memories of him and sang songs in remembrance of his life.

Hunter Daws, a member of Kappa Sigma and close friend of Silcox’s, said Silcox loved life, the outdoors and country music.

“Chad lived every day to the fullest; he was a no nonsense kind of guy,” he said. “He didn’t sit around. He got out there and did things.”

Daws and Silcox met three years ago when they attended Calhoun Community College together. The two transferred to UNA and rushed Kappa Sigma together.

“Chad was a great guy and he was a real good friend,” he said. “He would always help you out when you needed him to. You could call him any time you needed him and he would always help you out.”

Silcox was easy to get along with and was a friend to everyone, Daws said.

“Chad is one of those people it’s kind of hard not to like,” Daws said. “If you knew him, you got along with him.”

Bishop Alexander, a graduate student and chaplain for Kappa Sigma fraternity, was one of the people responsible for organizing the memorial service for Silcox.

“(We held the candle light vigil) mainly to show them the UNA perspective of just what he meant to Kappa Sigma here and in the UNA community,” he said.

Silcox was a local celebrity back in his hometown, Alexander said.

“Chad was very well known back in his hometown and he was just an all around great guy,” Alexander said. “I was blown away (at his funeral), he touched a lot of people back in his hometown. It showed how humble he was.”

Kappa Sigma President Anthony Hester and other members of the fraternity gave Silcox an honorary badge.

“It was just our way of telling him that he meant a lot to us,” Alexander said.

Silcox’s pledge educator and fellow fraternity brother Jake Kimbrough spoke highly of him.

“He had so many great qualities, and one of the many was how honest he was,” Kimbrough said. “I am just humbled to be in just a little part of his life. We are just so happy to have gotten a little part of his life.”

Brent Baker, one of Silcox’s hunting partners and fellow member of Kappa Sigma, remembered his smile.

“He would want us all to be strong and keep our heads held high with that gigantic smile on,” Baker said. “I hope the Silcox family knows you raised an incredible son and friend, and he will never be forgotten.”

Vice President for Student Affairs David Shields spoke about Silcox and how he would want people to always smile and continue through life with a grin on their faces.

“It’s always sad for us as a university when we lose a member of our family,” said.

Silcox’s friends, family and fraternity brothers need to take the opportunity to remember him in a way that would make him smile, Shields said.

“Chad would want us to smile and remember moments that he had with people,” Shields said. “Chad is alive in you through the memories that you have, and the memories that you share together.”

Kappa Sigma is taking donations to pay for the Silcox’s final expenses and hospital payments. The fraternity is asking for people to make donations to their fund on their website at www.kappasigmauna.com.