Study: 1 in 6 Americans binge drink

Sam Townson shows off during a game of beer pong Jan. 21 at a house party.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) released its vital signs report in early January, determining that binge drinking in the United States is more prevalent than it was once thought to be.

Researchers randomly interviewed 457,677 people across 48 states. In summary, the CDC estimated one in six Americans – more than 38 million – participate in binge drinking. The highest percentage of binge drinkers was found in the 18 – 24 year old age range.

Binge drinking is defined for men as five or more drinks in a short amount of time, whereas, for women, it is four drinks, according to the CDC.

Out of the estimated 38 million binge drinkers, the data suggests that participants binge drink approximately four times a month. The average number of drinks consumed per sitting is eight.

The study was released at the end of UNA’s AlcoholEdu program. AlcoholEdu started last summer and was a required program for all incoming freshman. According to Dr. Kim Greenway, director of Student Conduct, it was designed, in part, to gather information about freshman drinking habits and perceptions as they enter college.

“(AlcoholEdu) is a unique attempt to understand what students expect about drinking and address that in a healthy way,” Greenway said. “We’re not out there to say ‘Alcohol is a terrible thing.’ We want to educate on what the misuses of alcohol can cause.”

While the executive summary of the data is not scheduled to be released until the end of January, Greenway released some numbers showing that UNA may not align with national trends observed by the CDC. See text box

According to Greenway, 58 percent of incoming freshman have had at least a sip of alcohol. Out of the same population, 61 percent say they have never participated in binge drinking, and 70 percent say it’s never acceptable on school nights.

The statistics, according to sophomore Lauren Esslinger, aren’t surprising. Drinking, for Esslinger, has not been seen as a problem before or during college.

“I just thought drinking would be more prevalent in certain places,” Esslinger said. “If you wanted to partake in it you could, but it wouldn’t be shoved in your face if you didn’t go looking for it.”

Senior and history major Stephen Jackson agrees with Esslinger.

“I figured it would be tame here because it’s a small town,” Jackson said. “Publically stating that you’re drinking is kind of taboo around here because it’s the Bible Belt. I figured there would be parties, but I thought they would be at parties off campus. I never thought of it like you would in a big city, or a big party school like LSU or Florida.”

UNA police Chief Bob Pastula credits the university with the attitude toward alcohol.

“It’s everybody’s part,” Pastula said. “It’s not just the police or any other department. It’s everyone’s participation.”

Pastula gives students credit for knowing when not to binge drink.

“Most students are responsible to know enough is enough and to designate a driver,” Pastula said. “I think our students take it more seriously than they do at other universities.”