Skiing, snowboarding classes fail to hit slopes again this year

The Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation wants to take the learning experience out of the classroom and into the mountains of Boone, N.C.

“Skiing and snowboarding classes are two of several lifespan activity courses that the department is now offering,” said Dr. Lee Renfroe assistant professor in the HPER department. “These classes exist to give students out-of-the-box experiences that they would never be able to do otherwise.”

Students may have noticed the skiing and snowboarding classes listed in this year’s and last year’s spring catalog and the fact that neither time did the classes make it off the ground.

According to Renfroe, lack of participation was the only setback.

“For the last two years, we have offered the skiing and snowboarding classes, but we have to have at least 10 people signed up in order to justify going,” Renfroe said. “Last year, only six people signed up, and this year, only three.”

The HPER department is looking for answers to why the class has low numbers.

The package, which includes ski lift tickets, hotel room, equipment, textbook and instruction for four days, costs $380.

Both courses fall in early January during the week before spring semester classes start.

Renfroe believes this should be a convenient time for most students-even those with full schedules, because the course is over by the time other classes are just starting.

The course is open to skiers and snowboarders alike. Those of all experience levels are welcome to participate, and instruction is customized to fit each student’s ability, according to Renfroe.

“I guess we will try next year, but a lot of effort goes into offering the class,” Renfroe said. “The department would love any feedback from students.”

Feedback or interest in the course can be sent to HPER Department Chair Dr. Tom Coates at [email protected].