University remembers MLK with march

UNA will be hosting a program and march in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Jan. 13 for all students, faculty and staff.

The program will start at noon Jan. 13 at the Guillot University Center performance center, and at its conclusion the attendees will march across to the Baptist Campus Ministries for a free lunch in remembrance of King’s famous peace marches.

“It’s a celebration for what Martin Luther King Jr. stood for,” said Tammy Jacques, director of the Office of Student Engagement, one of the major sponsors and coordinators for the event. “It’s a program and luncheon for us to reflect on what MLK Jr. said and how it can be used today.”

After the march, students, faculty and staff can stay at the Baptist Campus Ministries for a free luncheon and a time to socialize and reflect with other members of the university, Jacques said.

“It’s a little different from last year,” said Allison Ray, student adviser for the Student Multicultural Advisory Committee, also known on campus as SMAC, another major organizer of the event. “The theme of the program is based off our theme for the year, Aim for Change.

“(Our goal is) seeking to advocate, integrate and motivate students toward racial and international awareness through multicultural education and programming. That’s our set goal for 2011/2012. All of our programming will be aimed to incorporate back to that main goal.”

SMAC, which was in charge of hosting the event last year, is inviting students to attend the programs to reflect on the message Martin Luther King Jr. spoke of and to support organizations that will be performing at the program, according to Ray.

“Ascending Voices, the Chinese Student Organization and Collegiate Singers are for sure performing, and we have other groups we can confirm at a later date,” Ray said.

Other organizations, like the Black Student Alliance, and other possible performers will be in attendance of the program, which should last from 30 to 45 minutes,

The march will follow immediately after the program with the walk to the Baptist Campus Ministry and should last approximately 15 minutes.

During the march, the Ascending Voices vocal group will lead the marching group to the song “We Shall Overcome,” while other members of the march will carry the traditional banner to the Baptist Campus Ministries.

According to Ray, a guest speaker is also planned for the opening program, though who will speak has not been decided yet.