MW3, Skyrim offer different gaming experiences

A student battles a dragon on “Skyrim,” the latest installment in the Elder Scrolls series.

Two popular games that came out recently are “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3” and “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.” Many people waited patiently, or impatiently, for the two games to come out, and the question is: which one do gamers enjoy playing more?

The two games are complete opposites. “Modern Warfare 3” is a first-person shooter game, which means, for all those unfamiliar with video games, all you see is the gun that you are shooting.

“Skyrim,” a role-playing game, on the other hand, has to do with going on quests and journeys while fighting with magic, swords and other medieval weapons. Role playing is just a fancy way to say that you take the role of the character you are playing.

“I like ‘Skyrim’ better because you put more into it (and) ‘Skyrim’ has better graphics,” said Jimmy Ransom, a junior business and CIS major.

Other students prefer “Modern Warfare 3.”

“‘Skyrim’ is a role-playing game, and I don’t really care about role-playing games, so I prefer ‘Modern Warfare 3′ over ‘Skyrim,'” said Charlie Jones, a sophomore Secondary Education major.

These games are so different that it is really just a preference of which game you would enjoy to play more, and to play these games you don’t have to be a hardcore gamer. However, you have to put some time into the games to get the satisfaction of getting a killing shot like in “Modern Warfare 3” or setting someone on fire with magic, like in “Skyrim.”

“I don’t always play video games, but when I do I prefer ‘MW3,'” said Tyler Former, a freshman exercise science major.

Some people described the game they preferred into simple terms.

“I have two words for you: Boom, headshot!” said Caleb Lawler, a junior and CIS major.

“MW3” is also a multiplayer game for those students who have Internet access. Some people like playing on teams, but if you prefer to game alone then the single player game, Skyrim, is the game that you will most likely enjoy playing more.

The only important question that now needs to be answered is: which weapon will you take up-guns (lots of guns) or swords (and magic, bows and arrows and axes)?