CAARS won’t let student grades crash

The Center for Advising and Retention Services is focused on assisting UNA and other community students in achieving academic success. CAARS is available for free tutoring, advising assistance and academic counseling to all students.

Heather-Unger Robertson is a learning support coordinator and academic adviser with CAARS. She works along with the CAARS staff to provide support services for UNA students and community members.

The center has seen much success with student response to tutoring sessions. Robertson is excited about the additions CAARS has recently added to the math walk-in tutoring sessions available on campus. More tutors have been added to assist students with their academic needs, along with adding additional hours and locations where students can participate in the free service. Students can also contact CAARS to request one-on-one tutoring sessions for needed courses. Visit www.una.edu/advising and click “Need a Tutor?” to sign up.

“CAARS is great,” said UNA student Sharon O’Conner. “Because of them, I was able to pass my math class the first time.”

Robertson said the majority of all tutor requests from students are for math and math-related subjects, such as chemistry, statistics and accounting.

CAARS also conducts study skills workshops available at no charge to UNA students. Students are invited and encouraged to attend these study skills workshops provided to assist students in increasing their academic success. Each session lasts 50 minutes and is held in Rayburn Hall 110.

In addition, CAARS provides testing services, such as ACT, SAT, CAAP and PRAXIS, for the university and members of the community. During college, students at UNA can choose to take various tests to advance themselves further in their college education.

The CLEP examination offers students the opportunity to earn college credit by earning qualifying scores on particular areas of expertise. Students may wish to participate in the CLEP exam if they feel they have gained knowledge from their education or professional experience and do not feel the need to repeat courses in material they already know.

The MAT exam is available for students planning to attend any graduate school program that accepts MAT scores for admission.

Students may be able to save time and money by learning more about these and additional testing services. Kenda Rusevlyan, testing coordinator, can assist with questions regarding qualifying for college credit examinations. E-mail [email protected].

CAARS is located in Keller Hall 127. Call the office at 256-765-4722 or e-mail Heather-Unger Robertson at [email protected]. Visit online at www.una.edu/advising.