Minor in possession charges on rise

Minor in possession charges on campus were higher last month than they have been all year. During September, a total of five MIPs were given out by campus police.

According to UNA’s crime log, one MIP was given at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house, three were given at the Pike house, and one was given at the Twin Oaks apartment complex on North Cedar Street.

Two of the three charges given at the Pike house resulted in arrests and one student was referred to the Office of Student Conduct. The student charged on North Cedar Street was also referred to that office.

UNA police Chief Bob Pastula said the Office of Student Conduct is the internal judicial system for the university. When a student is referred to that office as a punishment, that person will have to go before the university officers.

The circumstances of the situation determine whether a student will go to jail or receive student conduct, Pastula said.

“If they’re trying to hide something, or are being unruly or dangerous, they will go to jail,” Pastula said. “If they are well-behaved or show remorse, they could get student conduct.”

Pastula said the best way to keep from getting an MIP charge is not to drink underage.

“It’s not worth the risk,” he said. “It’s not worth the penalty. Just wait until you’re 21.”

According to Pastula, campus police can also patrol the outskirts of campus, which they share with Florence Police. When students begin going off campus to drink, Florence Police get involved. If a student gets caught by Florence police, they will go directly to jail, said Pastula.

“I understand that need to experiment, but it causes big problems,” he said.

Students have mixed opinions on the matter.

“I think if you get caught the first time and go to jail over alcohol, it’s ridiculous,” said UNA student Katie Threet.

Threet said that not all minors were drinking to be “plastered on the floor.” She said some people just want to drink socially.

“If a person is just holding it or not hurting others, I don’t see what the problem is,” she said.

Megan Marks has a different opinion.

“I think that if you’re making the choice and you’re underage, on campus or not, you know what the law is, and if you don’t abide by it, you’re risking going to jail,” she said.

Pastula said although there has been an increase in MIP charges, he hopes it will settle down.