UNA not among schools researching student wealth in acceptance process

Prior to admission to college, many students submit their FASFA, in which schools evaluate their financial eligibility. Many top tier private schools, however, look at the students’ wealth as another way to be admitted.

In recent years, dozens of private universities worked to enroll a diverse group of students who can afford all college expenses. But colleges are cutting down on that process, considering that even families that may make an estimated $200,000 a year are still qualifying for financial aid.

Scholarship Manager Shauna James said UNA does not consider family income as an admission factor.

“We simply look at the student’s expected family contribution (EFC), using that to determine how much financial aid they will need,” she said.

Whether it is a scholarship or a subsidized loan, students would like the aid. In this economy, it is anticipated that students may wish to receive some type of financial aid. It is also expected that about 75 percent of UNA students will receive some sort of financial support from the federal government.

“I would expect a private institution such as an Ivy League School to look at a student’s full financial eligibility,” James said. “Anywhere else would just be unnecessary.”

The estimated total for UNA students receiving federal loans is $22.2 million.

“The money does not affect UNA and will later be reimbursed,” James said. “UNA is very straight forward. We do not ask for much from the student.”

James continues to express her opinion about financial admission.

“It is not preferable for colleges, mostly private, to deny students simply because they cannot afford the full tuition without financial aid,” James said. “I would recommend giving the student financial counseling in means of getting the tuition paid.”