Still in recovery

(From front to back) UNA students Payton Edmiston, Bert Pena and Katelyn Jarrell of Alternative Break Board help chop wood from damaged trees from the April tornadoes during fall break in Harvest Oct. 8.

Nearly six months after deadly tornadoes ripped through north Alabama, residents in local communities continue to piece their lives-and homes-together one day at a time, according to volunteers with Alternative Break Board.

UNA junior and volunteer Amanda Dillingham said area tornado victims continue to reach out for help from volunteers months later due to the devastation of the April 27 storms.

Dillingham, along with 19 other UNA students, took part in a disaster recovery trip during fall break with Alternative Break Board Oct. 6-8 in the Harvest and Limestone County areas.

Although the service students provided during the trip was much needed, Dillingham said there is more work that needs to be done in those tornado-damaged areas before victims can fully recover from the disaster.

“(Friday night), during our reflection, we were talking about how the stuff we’re doing here only puts a tiny dent in what needs to be done,” she said. “Everyone still needs to know that people still need help out here.”

Students wired houses, shingled roofs, moved lumber, removed debris and garbage, painted houses and took part in numerous other tasks to help residents living in the Harvest area.

Jennifer Brown, assistant director of student leadership and volunteerism, said the students who participated in the trip came away with a new awareness about the needs of other human beings.

“On a trip like this, you have to be flexible to the needs of the community and the different projects taking place,” she said. “The students (took) away a good bit and didn’t realize how much work still needed to be done. Even though they are making a small dent, they are still making a big difference.”

Casey Dugger, a UNA sophomore, has family who live approximately 20 miles from Harvest. Her family’s home was slightly damaged by the storm, but she said the generosity of the people living in that area was enormous after the tornado.

Dugger said she enjoyed representing UNA and giving back to the Harvest community with fellow students during the Alternative Break Board trip.

“There were people who lost everything who came and helped us put shingles back on our roof, when they had nothing,” she said. “Limestone County is a big place, and all the county schools have put in a lot to help (the area). I’m happy UNA is doing this and can still be a part of it.”

Kaylie Watts, president of Alternative Break Board, said the trip was unique compared to other trips the group has taken in the past. She said approximately 600 homes need to be rebuilt from the ground up in the 16 counties of north Alabama.

“I thought I had seen the (tornado damage) on the interstate, but I didn’t realize before that there was so much work that still needed to be done,” she said.

Alternative Break Board is a service-oriented group that provides unique volunteer opportunities to students during designated breaks and holidays at the university.

The fall break experience in Harvest helped put things into perspective for UNA junior Jasmine Morris.

“It’s been six months and there’s still a lot to do,” she said. “We helped one lady who reminded me of my mom-in starting over and rebuilding your life. Not once did she complain. That was a definitely an eye opener.”