UNA hosts career fair

The career fair hosted in the banquet halls of the GUC on Oct. 11 was an opportunity for UNA students to network in order to find full-time job positions, internships, and contacts in a variety of career fields.

The opportunities at fairs such as these can open many doors for students, said Career Development Coordinator Jennifer Smith.

“It’s all about networking,” Smith said. “Employers at this event are recruiting most majors and are looking for students that have any degree in general rather than a specific area, although there are exceptions.”

Even though not every employer is going to be able to get you a position, that person might know an acquaintance that can hire you, she said. There were 31 employers scheduled to be at the event so that students can get a wide range of connections, Smith said.

“The best way to get the most out of a career fair is to do your research on the employers that will be present,” Smith said. “Also knowing your career goals is important.”

The best way to make a good first impression with a potential employer is to be able to give an overview of yourself and your career goals in about 60 seconds, she said. 

“Many students who have attended events such as this one in the past have received jobs within six months if they did not receive one much sooner,” Smith said.

Local businesses appreciate the fair and see UNA students as great potential employees.

“UNA is a great resource for us,” said LeAnn Long, representing First Metro Bank.“I would say that 95 percent of our current student employees are from UNA. We have left with quality applicants in looking to fill part-time positions because the hours fit a college student’s schedule. Many of our part-time workers have moved on to full-time positions.”

Students found the career fair helpful.

“Everyone has been informational so far,” said Leon Butler, UNA graduate student majoring in Management/Culinary, when asked whether he believes the career fair will help him get a job. “The biggest thing is personal face-to-face interaction.”

Butler said that when applying online there is something to be desired because you do not get that personal connection with the employers as you do when you met them face to face.

Any students that wish for more information on events such as the career fair can look on the Career Planning and Development website at http://career.una.edu. Future events, such as an upcoming career carnival, will be included in the events calendar.