Kilby hosts first reunion

Alumni of Kilby School had the opportunity to tour the school and participate in a silent auction during the reunion.

Kilby Laboratory School held its first official school reunion this past weekend. The two-day event allowed generations of Kilby students to interact and see the progress the school has made.

Kilby was established in 1872, and the Parent Teacher Organization at the school felt it was time to celebrate its history.

“Kilby has an amazing history, and we wanted to do what we could to see that that history was not only preserved, but carried on into future generations of Kilby Cubs,” said PTO President Carole Maynard.

Planning for the event began in May when the PTO started collecting names of alumni and creating an alumni association to keep updates of past and future graduates of Kilby.

Maynard said that all Kilby alumni and former Kilby teachers and administrators, along with current Kilby families and members of the UNA community, were invited.

UNA’s Web Communications Manager Jeremy Britten attended the reunion with his family. Britten said that more than 350 people registered for the event.

“From what I could tell, it was a much desired event,” he said.

On Friday, Kilby hosted a pep rally with UNA cheerleaders, Leo and Una.

Friday evening the teachers hosted a movie night where Kilby students and the children of alumni could enjoy time together.

Britten said Kilby was well represented in Saturday’s parade with four floats. One float was dedicated to the alumni, and the other three were for current Kilby students.

Attendees had the option to purchase tickets for a picnic with performances by Dillon Hodges and Eric Kirkman.

Maynard said that the playground was filled with different activities for the children to enjoy.

The reunion also held a silent auction. All proceeds went to help establish the Kilby Alumni Fund through the UNA foundation. Some of the items up for bid included UNA-themed baskets, a watch from Mefford’s and furniture from Ingram’s.

Britten said the reunion was great for Kilby students to reconnect with former classmates and to see what current students are working on.

“The PTO would like to thank all of the UNA community for supporting this first-ever Kilby reunion,” Maynard said. “Kilby’s tie to UNA and the history we share is what makes Kilby the unique, special place that it is.”