Free bagels spark campout in GUC

Students tried to catch some shut eye in the GUC before Einstein Bros. Bagels gave out free breakfast for a year to the first 50 students Tuesday morning.

by Andy Thigpen Life Editor

Braving the pounding rain at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning were 35 UNA students in a vast array of sleeping bags and pillows. Some were scattered in tents in front of the GUC, most were spread across the floor of the atrium, while two others were snug in hammocks by the Amphitheater.

These students were the first 35 of 50 guaranteed to get a year’s worth of free breakfast from Einstein Bros. Bagels, which officially opened at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Early into the morning, Mumford and Sons was heard through chatter about various professors and just what exactly “a year’s worth of free breakfast” meant.

Einstein Bros. Bagel Co. offered the first 50 students coupons good for one free breakfast sandwich per week for 52 weeks. The sandwich can be a choice of their egg sandwiches, paninis or wraps.

While Jason Mraz and Train’s “Soul Sister” floated from a ukulele in a tent, Meggin Major, the first person at the GUC doors, talked about her arrival.

“I got here at 10 p.m,” Major said. “People started to line up around 10:30.”

Since her arrival, a list was kept of who checked in so the first 50 students could be recognized.

Olivia Tennant, confirmed to be the ukulele player and a recent Montevallo transfer, relayed her excitement about the event.

“A lot of my friends at Montevallo do crazy stuff like this all the time, and I wasn’t sure people would do that here,” said Tennant. “When I heard about this, I had to come.”

The students who managed to sleep quickly awoke when opening time drew near. Bright eyes and bushy tails awkwardly lined up for the defining moment, and a slow clap ensued when the Einstein employee took Meggin Major’s order-the first order for the store.

The first response from the students was positive, and the camping time was not deemed wasted.

“Of course it was worth it,” said sophomore Sarah Schiavone. “The bagels are delicious. I just like the word bagels. I can’t wait to eat all 52 of them.”

Students think the rainy night is worth the free food.

“They’re phenomenal,” said Rebekah Pass, one of the students who stayed in a hammock. “But it was kind of cold and wet.”

Jonathan Oliphant reflected on the event as a whole.

“It was fun,” he said. “Everyone camped out and had a good time. I love bagels, and I love free stuff. And the bagels are spectacularly fantastical.”