Greeks start fall recruitment, host events on campus

Greek recruitment at UNA is in full swing and members of the organizations hosting the weeklong events are both excited and hopeful for a successful recruitment season.

“(My goal this year is) to increase our numbers and provide a fun and safe experience for not only our brothers and associates but for the student body as well,” said Delta Chi Vice President Justin Pipkins. “Networking is the biggest benefit of going through recruitment, and even if you don’t join one of the organizations, still go through recruitment so you can meet new people.”

Although many students will rush, not everyone will get a bid to an organization.

“We have 145 students going through Panhellenic recruitment this year and on average about 80-85 percent of those will actually receive bids from an organization,” said Assistant Director of Student Engagement for Greek Life DeAnte Smith.

According to Smith, numbers for Panhellenic recruitment are down somewhat from last year, but the number tends to stay around the 150 mark.

“The biggest benefit of going Greek is learning versatility,” Smith said. “These organizations are like a company. You learn to balance budgets, run meetings and plan events.”

According to officials, UNA has 17 recognized Greek organizations. This includes Panhellenic, IFC and NPHC with each one having its own separate recruitment week.

Greek Life has planned several events for students this year. Last Wednesday during Welcome Week, Greek Life hosted a block party and cookout with more than 600 students in attendance. Each organization will have its own recruitment activities throughout recruitment with Bid Day for Panhellenic scheduled for Sept. 5 at the Amphitheatre and Bid Day for IFC Sept. 10.

“I love meeting new people,” said Chase Wise, a brother of Alpha Tau Omega. “I also like positively affecting the lives of new students.”

For more information on UNA Greek Life or recruitment, contact the Office of Student Engagement.