SGA addresses students, campus issues

SGA President Ralph Akalonu speaks to students at the State of the Association address Sept. 13.

SGA President Ralph Akalonu spoke to approximately 75 attendees Tuesday at the first State of the Association address, inspiring students to take control of their own destiny for the future of UNA.

Akalonu said the university is in a state of transition, and the actions that students make today will help to establish a stronger foundation for future UNA students.

He said this year’s SGA is ambitious, dedicated to excellence and committed to better serving the student body.

“If you are ready to take this campus to the next level, to be a part of something monumental, are ready to be empowered, then let’s come together and make this dream, this vision a reality,” Akalonu said.

This past summer, SGA came together for its first-ever joint retreat between the various branches of the association, according to Akalonu. Members established their vision for UNA with a comprehensive five-year plan.

The five-year plan includes developing an institutional recycling program, initiating to the fullest the SGA endowed scholarship, ensuring better safety on Pine Street, establishing a daycare center and creating a multicultural student center on campus.

The SGA, including the University Program Council branch, has also launched the Ideas to Action campaign in hopes of providing more face time between SGA officers and students.

Will Riley, vice president of UPC, said his branch of SGA wants to have a larger presence and continue to encourage student involvement at events this year.

“We want to be more noticeable on campus, and definitely have a bigger presence with our events,” he said. “Everything we do, we try to do it with excellency so we are not wasting or throwing away money.”

Vice President of Senate Emily McCann spoke to students about the legislative branch of SGA and discussed the new student referendum to vote on how to spend the money intended for the purchase of the golf and country club property, which fell through this summer.

Mark Linder, director of athletics, also gave a presentation about the transition to Division I. He said UNA students contribute approximately $22,000 to the local economy each year. If the D-I move is successful, Linder anticipates an 11 percent growth in students at UNA, bringing in another $17 million to the area.

He said UNA has given around 120 D-I presentations to the community since the June 13 board of trustees meeting and said the reaction from area residents has been mostly positive.

“Our goal is to have $500,000 raised by Dec. 1 and have the same amount pledged over the next five years,” he said. “In order to keep the student fee down and academic spending down, we’re going to have to go out and raise the money. We’re trying to find 500 individuals willing to buy into the dream of growth for this community that are also willing to give $1,000 a year.”

Students and members of the community had the opportunity to ask questions of SGA officials and Linder at the end of the State of the Association address. SGA also offered free prizes to students and organizations in attendance.