UNA builds garden honoring, symbolizing NPHC Greeks

The NPHC garden, located in front of the GUC, is expected to give historically African-American Greek groups a place symbolizing their organizations.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council Garden, which represents African-American sororities and fraternities, is near completion. The garden is located in front on the GUC and expected to near completion by homecoming.

There are nine groups of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), and UNA currently has six. The sororities are: Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta. The fraternities are: Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi and Phi Beta Sigma.

“The garden is an annual recognition to (the NPHC’s) presence and contributions to the campus,” said Vice President of Student Affairs David Shields.

Shields said that the president and his staff support this garden.

Shields said that historically black Greek groups don’t have houses.

“It publicly recognizes the importance of our historically black (Greek) groups,” Shields said. “This garden is tremendously important to the university, and it is long overdue.”

Shields said the NPHC is important to the Greek community and the hope is to dedicate this garden at homecoming.

The Assistant Director of Student Engagement for Greek Affairs DeAnte’ Smith said this garden is not completed yet, but hopefully will be completed by Friday or Saturday of homecoming week.

“(Hopefully) enough alumni are coming back,” he said.

Smith said that graduated students, staff and current students have had a hand in building this garden and that all Greek chapters have contributed financially.

Smith said a few instrumental people who helped with the garden are staff members Tammy Jacques, Shields, Michael Gautney and current SGA President Ralph Akalonu.

According to Smith, many people contributed to the garden.

“Without (the graduated students, the staff and current students) it would not have been possible,” Smith said. “(This garden) is very symbolic.”

Delta Sigma Theta President Cierra Smith said she thinks the garden is a good idea.

“I think it recognizes the NPHC,” she said.

Smith said she would like to see the garden finished before homecoming.

“(The Greek Garden would) give something for the alumni to come and see,” she said.