Freshmen park at off-site locations this fall

The lack of parking on campus has been a concern for commuter students for years, and the university is making big changes this fall to help with the problem.

Two off-campus parking lots are now available for parking to commuter students. The downtown parking garage, which was available for student use last year, has 200 spaces that are available this year. UNA is also renting more than 500 spaces on Darby Drive that are available for student use.

All commuter freshman have been assigned a parking spot off campus, and from those lots they will be able to ride a UNA shuttle bus to campus. Although freshmen have been assigned to these lots, all students are allowed to park in them.

David Shields, vice president of student affairs, is optimistic about the new lots available to students.

“Students who park here will always have a place to park,” he said. “They will save time and gas that would have been spent circling the parking lots looking for a spot.”

Shields not only supports the program by discussing the positive aspects of it, but he also plans to park off campus and ride the shuttle to ensure the 15-minute wait time is accurate.

Though Shields is hopeful about the parking solution, he also realizes that parking in the off-campus lots will require students to be more responsible.

“You’ve got to plan ahead,” he said. “The shuttle buses are not high speed-it will be a 20-minute ride. Don’t park at 7:50 for an 8 a.m. class. Planning ahead is the key. Make time for travel.”

For those concerned with the safety of leaving their cars unattended in an off-campus lot for the whole day, UNA police Chief Bob Pastula said that the cars will be secure.

“The lots will be patrolled constantly, so safety is not a concern with leaving your car there,” he said.

Logan Marks, an incoming freshman who will be commuting to campus, is not excited about having to park off campus.

“I live 10 minutes from campus, but now I have to drive 10 minutes to the parking lot, wait 15 minutes for the shuttle and then ride the shuttle for 20 minutes,” Marks said. “I would just rather find a spot close to campus and walk.”

Allyson Mack, a senior who commutes daily from Athens, has mixed feelings about the new lots.

“I commute for an hour and then look for a spot for 20 minutes, so I hope it will cut that 20 minute search out,” she said. “But I also think all those people who parked around campus last year will now park on campus, so I’m not sure it will help as much as they are hoping it will.”

The UNA shuttle buses will also be available for those needing a ride to places off campus, such as Regency Square Mall, downtown Florence and shopping centers. The shuttle to the Cox Creek shopping centers will leave from the stairs between Rice and Rivers halls on Saturday afternoons, and the downtown shuttle will leave from the Harrison Plaza entrance Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights until 2 a.m.