Campus prepares for possible disasters

The Stevens Hall suspicious powder investigation last month forced the Office of University Communications to act quickly to transmit information.

This year, the world has seen a great series of disasters. Countries from all over the globe have dealt with earthquakes, tsunamis, floods and even rebellions.

Cities within the Shoals are not immune to catastrophes that exist around the world. UNA has also seen some terror caused by tornado-like weather and the suspicious powder scare that occurred in Stevens Hall recently.

UNA officials are fully aware of and concerned with the numerous possibilities that could put all people on and off campus in danger, so they try to be sure that they are ready for anything.

“I try to ensure that everybody here has training to deal with natural and manmade disasters, and we try to practice that very consistently,” said UNA police Chief Bob Pastula.

No matter what circumstance arises, UNA seems to have an adequate amount of resources and services to keep those on and off campus as secure as possible.

“We have campus, city, county, state and national emergency protocols that would come to bear in this particular area,” said David Shields, vice president of student affairs.

Of course, there are some disasters that are inevitable, but that does not lessen the efforts of those who monitor UNA’s security.

“Some disasters, you cannot stop them from happening but can be prepared for to minimize the negative impact,” said Josh Woods, director of University Communications.

Many of the dangers that occur at UNA are not so different from those that occur at other universities, so security monitors observe what goes on to help improve the security of campus.

“Universities all watch each other and at least one is hit with something major,” Woods said. “And every time it happens, all of us watch what they do well and what they could have done better.”

One of the key factors to ensuring the safety of the UNA community is through the media, as Woods and Shields help spread awareness and news of a disaster through Lion Alert and other methods. Woods said the Department of Communications is careful to make sure that their information is as accurate as possible.

“It is my responsibility to keep [information] updates going,” Woods said. “In any disaster situation, information is key, provided that it is accurate information.”

To better ensure safety for those who are on campus in a crisis, such as a tornado or fire, there are certain areas in each building on campus that UNA officials designate for student, staff and faculty safety.

UNA holds a number of plans to aid students and faculty before or after a crisis hits. A list of emergency policies exists on the UNA Police website under Emergency Management that students are encouraged to look over so that they may know the necessary procedures for certain situations.