Students trade comfort of shoes for awareness

Jenn Lyles Life Editor

Last Tuesday, April 5, several students sported the barefoot look for TOMS One Day Without Shoes event held around the world. People from all over left their shoes at their front door, walking around barefoot as many do in underdeveloped and developing countries.

UNA’s Fashion Forum led the campaign on campus to encourage students to trade in their comfortable shoes for a day without the comfort of shoes.

“Yes, it’s cold and it really hurts, but doing this for one day makes me realize how difficult it must be for people to do this all day, walking long distances and working,” Katie Lanier, secretary of Fashion Forum said. “I’m sure those from other countries don’t have the luxury to even walk on this pavement that we get to.”

Lanier said the event was to bring awareness and just make people think. She witnessed several UNA students who immediately took off their shoes when they realized the cause, while others walked by and didn’t care to notice.

“I walked into class this morning and I was the only one without shoes,” said junior Noah Myers, who participated this year and last year in the awareness event. “I like walking around barefoot anyway, so it was pretty much a good excuse. Plus, it’s a great cause.”

TOMS Shoes is a company that gives a pair of new shoes to a child in need for every pair that’s bought. It’s a growing need that makes students at UNA realize how harsh the conditions can be without them.

“Not having [my shoes] on makes me realize what a big part of my life comfort really is,” Lanier said. “At the end of the day I know my feet are going to be sore, but I get to put shoes on tomorrow. Millions don’t.”

She and Myers admit it’s easier to do when more people participate on campus, but it’s leaving school grounds that really attract stares.

“If a restaurant has a sign ‘No Shirt. No Shoes. No Service.’ I may just be eating in tonight,” Myers joked.

TOMS Shoes was created after founder Blake Mycoskie traveled to Argentina in 2006 and met children without shoes to protect their feet. He created the company with the “One for One” slogan to help children in rough conditions.