Department seeks donations for film and digital media endowed scholarship

The UNA Department of Communications is working toward endowing a new scholarship specifically for students pursuing studies in film and digital media production.

“There is currently a scholarship that has traditionally gone to theater students,” said assistant professor Jason E. Flynn. “This one would be designated and specified for film and digital media production students, so it is brand new.”

Projected guidelines for this new scholarship have not been confirmed, Flynn said. However, the scholarship will apply to students with good academic standing who are committed to the field of film and digital media production.

Students and faculty agree that money is an influential factor when pursuing any degree. However, students who major in this field have additional funding requirements in order to successfully complete the major, as film and digital media production is an expensive field to pursue, according to Flynn.

“An endowed scholarship would greatly benefit students in this field,” he said. “The sooner the scholarship is endowed, the more effective it will be for students.”

The scholarship was launched only a few months ago and must raise at least $25,000 to become endowed, Flynn said.

Dr. Cynthia Burkhead, a supporter of the new scholarship and event coordinator for the George Lindsey Film Festival, said the dollar amount of donations received would be presented at a special salute to George Lindsey April 30.

Flynn said anyone can donate to the scholarship. Donations are tax deductible and those who donate at least $50 prior to the George Lindsey salute may in turn receive a ticket to the event.

Those interested in supporting the scholarship should contact Flynn by phone at 256-765-4489 or by e-mail at [email protected] for a donation form and return envelope.