UNA student runs for spokesperson of Young & Free Alabama

The elections to decide who will be the 2011 spokesperson for Listerhill Credit Union’s Young & Free Alabama program are being held until Monday April 18. Twenty-one-year-old Zack Cox, a junior majoring in interdisciplinary studies with a concentration in international business, is the only UNA student campaigning for the position.

He was selected to be one of the final three contestants, along with 19-year-old McKenzie Lockhart and 24-year-old Lee Taylor.

Cox said he has lived most of his life on a budget and hopes his experience will benefit the students he will represent.

“I want my generation to have a better understanding of money, and I want to bring them easy ways to understand how to use their money efficiently,” said Cox.

Listerhill established Young & Free Alabama in order to give young adults between ages 18 and 25 representation in the financial institution and educate them about saving and investing.

Listerhill has increased its presence on the campus during the past year by installing a financial guidance center staffed by student workers in the GUC. Chris Anderson, a UNA alumnus was the 2010 spokesperson.

“I would just like to add to what he’s done,” said Cox. “I want to be even more involved on campus.”

The responsibilities of the spokesperson will include speaking at events Listerhill is involved in, maintaining a blog and monitoring feedback from the young people he or she represents. The results of the election will be posted by April 29 and the new spokesperson will start work in May.

To vote for the new spokesperson, visit www.youngfreealabama.com.