Incurable senioritis strikes again

I went through Curry High School from 2003 to 2007. The last year I was there (2007, obviously), I experienced a condition that plagues many a soon-to-be-graduating senior: senioritis.

This condition usually strikes those who are within one or two semesters of graduating high school. The disease usually comes about as a result of the combined effects of going through 13 straight years of school combined with seeing the end of one’s captivity in sight. This is why it affects high school seniors across the United States to the degree that is witnessed.

Even though I thought I was immune to this scourge, I contracted the illness about halfway through my senior year at Curry. I found out the hard way that senioritis is communicable. No, it cannot be contracted from a toilet seat or a water fountain, but it can jump from one affected senior to another. You see, the affliction is airborne and may be transferred from student to student as such.

I experienced this plague for six months or so before it was cured. The illness left my body as soon as I threw my cap at graduation. I thought that I would never have to put up with those symptoms again. I was wrong.

I relapsed during my second year at UNA. It started with a mild twitch that I simply shrugged away as nerves. Then I started losing sleep and daydreaming in class. Okay, I admit, I started daydreaming in class more often. Soon Dr. Schoenbachler was calling me out in class for looking out the window and not taking enough notes. On a side note, Schoenbachler once said that homogenous was a good word (I forget the context) and I should work the word (homogenous) into a story. There Schoenbachler, I said it twice. I hope you are happy.

Unfortunately there is only one cure for senioritis: graduation. I have two classes left to take this summer before I meet the requirements of my major, so I will have to grin and bear my pain until December, since there is no ceremony in the summer.

The wait was excruciating in high school, and I think it might actually be worse now that I have relapsed. When I was cured in high school, I was staring college in the face. This time I am staring the big, bad world in the face, along with the big, bad world’s wonderful job market.

So, my illness may be cured (yet again) when I graduate (yet again), and I hope that I might finally be rid of the disease once and for all.