Contest challenges students to express First Amendment through video

Feb. 15 marked the beginning of the First Amendment Video Contest, a contest initiated by UNA’s Department of Communications in an effort to bring more awareness to the First Amendment. The contest, which ends March 15, is open to students of all classifications and from all majors. Students who enter the competition will produce a video, in which they will inform viewers of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment and express their creativity by doing so.

The goal of the contest is to have the videos produced remind people of the importance of these rights.

Videos submitted for the competition may focus generally on the First Amendment or on one of the individual rights it guarantees.

Students may enter the competition individually or in groups, and there is no limit to the number of videos they can create for submission.

The First Amendment reads, as follows: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, in 45 words, guarantees five distinct freedoms.

In an ever-fractious world, these five freedoms are a benchmark for civil society. They serve as legal rights for citizens of the United States and as a model of aspiration for citizens of other countries.

Dr. Greg Pitts, professor and chair of the Department of Communications, is spearheading the contest.

Speaking on such things as the recent events occurring in the Middle East, he said, “The First Amendment guarantees us, as Americans, the ability to speak freely, but it also gives everyone else that ability.”

Pitts also said that he hoped the contest would improve education about the rights the First Amendment guarantees, adding, “Studies have been conducted in which most people were unable to name all five rights of the First Amendment.”

The deadline for all entries is March 15 at 4 p.m. All entries should be submitted to room 105 of the Communications Building or to UNA mailbox 5007.

Each submission must include an entry form, which can be obtained from Jason Flynn, assistant professor of film and digital media production. Flynn can be reached at (256) 765-4489 or [email protected] . Winners will be notified no later than April 11.

The contest’s first prize is $200; second prize is $150; third prize is $100. Honorable mentions will also be awarded.