SRC offers workout aimed at student relaxation

The Student Recreation Center offers Flow, a class that incorporates Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates, Monday and Wednesday nights at 7 p.m.

The class stretches muscles while leaving the students feeling renewed and relaxed.

“Flow is a really slow-pace class, and it makes you work enough for your body,” said class instructor and University of North Alabama freshman Paige Hedden.

The 50-minute class has 12 stages.

“The class starts off with Tai Chi,” Hedden said. “This warm-up connects the breath to movement.”

Sun Salutations and Standing Strength allow students to focus on their balance while holding different poses, working the muscles.

The balance track is similar, but the poses are done by standing on one foot for a few minutes, then alternating to the next.

UNA freshman Mack Cornwell said, “I have definitely become more flexible [since taking the class] and feel like I’ve learned to have better balance and posture.”

Hedden said that students really enjoy the upbeat abdominal track that incorporates Pilates. One movement during this track is called the plank. A plank is when the torso is elevated off the ground and is flat with support from the arms and legs.

The back track is designed to stretch out the back while lying primarily on the stomach.

The last few tracks are geared towards cooling down. The relaxation phase is the final track where students lay in the corpse pose. During the pose, participants are flat on their backs, hands by their side and eyes closed.

Hedden said that she tells everyone to first focus on the music, the fans or her voice so they can be in peace. She said she tells them to imagine a warm pool of shallow water, picturing their body rising and falling.

“I tell them to imagine water rolling down the body, collecting stress and releasing it,” she said.

The remaining time in class is spent in silence, allowing the mind to connect to the body.

Cornwell said, “It’s a super chill workout that leaves you feeling energized and ready to go to the library for some powerful studying. It’s not like other workouts where you can barely walk for half an hour when you finish.”

Hedden said that she has taught football players, sports trainers, teachers and several international students. Flow is a good class to use as a foundation for future workout plans, she said.

A student SRC employee is positioned at the class to check Mane cards for participants.

“It can cost anywhere from $10-20 to do yoga at a studio, and you really need to go a lot to get into it,” said Cornwell. “Having yoga free at the SRC is awesome.”