Meet the candidates: 2011 SGA election

The race is on as eight student candidates gear up for the annual Student Government Association elections to bring in a new crop of officers to represent the voices of the UNA student body.

SGA President Cory Hamilton said the majority of voters in past SGA officer elections are students associated with Greek organizations, but hopes more independent and international students will take part in this year’s elections March 7-9.

With significant issues, such as whether the university will make the move to Division I athletics, on the minds of students, faculty and community members, Hamilton believes students should exercise their right to vote to stay informed about what’s occurring at the university and make a difference at UNA.

“I think it’s important for them to get out and vote because SGA is their representative to the UNA administration and acts as their voice,” he said.

UNA student Ralph Akalonu, who currently acts as vice president of SGA Senate and has had an extensive work history with student government since 2007, is the only candidate in the running for the 2011-2012 SGA presidency.

Though the UNA Board of Trustees is scheduled to make a decision about whether the university will go D-I March 14, Akalonu said the board may postpone the decision until its June meeting. If so, he hopes to make student advocacy his number one priority at the beginning of his term.

Akalonu wants to instill a renewed sense of activism in UNA students, ensure that SGA is functioning at its full capacity, develop a better marketing campaign to reach students and get more involved in the surrounding community.

“Any decision the administration is going to make, they are going to work with SGA,” he said. “This is why I want to be the official student representative. I’m excited about it and hope for the best.”

Emily McCann, who works as SGA secretary and is running for vice president of Senate, wants SGA to be more transparent to the student body next year and to mesh the various branches of SGA together.

UNA student Will Riley, SOAR counselor and member of the Student Conduct Board, is in the running against Jennifer Cravens for vice president of University Program Council next year. Riley, like McCann, wants a more unified SGA and sense of student involvement for 2011-2012.

Cravens, who currently works as chair of UPC Culture and Education, wants students to get their voices heard on campus and to increase student knowledge about UPC’s future activities.

“I want to stress to the students that they actually have a power and have a voice and are not just a number,” Riley said. “If you’re granted the right to vote, why not take advantage of it?”

UNA students Justin Pipkins, Rachel Gandy and Trey Alexander will compete next week for the title of SGA secretary. Pipkins, who hopes to someday become a U.S. senator, wants to ensure more students are informed about SGA’s activities next year.

Gandy, who acts as secretary for Freshman Forum this year, hopes to improve upon her current work if elected as SGA secretary. Alexander, a sophomore and member of SGA Senate, believes he would be able to improve the overall UNA experience for students.

“The 30 senators, UPC delegates and executive board are the top, primary people to contact if you don’t like what’s going on at campus,” Pipkins said. “You can change almost anything you don’t like at the university. Students need people who they feel comfortable with to do the job and to voice their opinions.”

John Ledgewood, who is SGA treasurer and is the only person running for his position for next year, wants to continue to raise money for the SGA endowed scholarship that was formed last semester.

For more information about voting, check out www.una.edu/sga.