Working students forced to find balance between jobs, school

UNA student Amanda Bowen juggles a full-time school work load while holding down a job at Listerhill Credit Union.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 49 percent of students today are enrolled part time, 38 percent work full time and 27 percent have dependents of their own.

Balancing time while having a job can be difficult. It can be even more difficult when enrolled in courses at a college or university.

Many students require themselves to find work, as about half of today’s students are financially independent. But being able to balance time between schoolwork and work can be difficult.

“It can be a struggle at times,” said Greg Davis, a junior at UNA and employee of American Eagle. “There are a lot of days when I honestly do not feel like picking up a textbook or studying once I get off work, but I know it is just something that needs to be done and I have to do it. I find ways to motivate myself and I do not allow myself to procrastinate at all.”

For those with a family to take care of, juggling school, work and parenthood can be a challenge.

“The most difficult part of balancing everything is actually finding time to study,” said Hannah Sumner, a senior at UNA who is majoring in nursing. Sumner also has to take care of four children.

“My study time usually is when the kids are in bed,” she said. “When that time comes, I’d rather spend that time with my husband or doing something that I enjoy.”

Having a job and being enrolled in classes does not always leave students with a lot of free time, so procrastination time has to be cut.

“If anything, having a job while being at UNA has taught me a lot about responsibility,” added Davis. “Once you get in a routine of working and going to school, things begin to seem easier.”

Developing a sense of balance can be important for students, as being swamped with schoolwork and working a job can be difficult at times.

“Balance is the key,” said Dr. Janet McMullen, a professor in the Communications Department at UNA. “Time management and finding balance is an issue that will challenge you as a student, although I do not think it is wise for students to work more than 10 or 15 hours per week. Students need to be sure that they are still able to do their work and are allowed to have time for extracurricular activities.”