New black box theater may soon break ground on campus

UNA’s board of trustees recently approved funding for the construction of a black box theater that may break ground this month. The theater will be adjoined to Norton Auditorium and will face the intersection of Pine and Irvine streets.

According to Michael Gautney, director of facilities administration and planning, the job has been contracted out and the university is currently waiting for approval from the governor before construction can begin.

The facility has to be completed within one year, but Gautney anticipates construction being finished earlier, with the possibility that the theater will be operational at the beginning of the spring 2012 semester.

The new facility will provide the theatre department with much-needed classroom and office space. According to Dr. David Ruebhausen, associate professor of theatre, the spaces the department currently uses are continually rented out for other university and community activities, displacing students and making it difficult to have a set schedule for classes.

“Students need to have a safe, creative environment to develop their arts,” said Ruebhausen. “It’s been a real struggle to continually make the case that we need a classroom, and we’re very thankful that the current administration is now giving us this opportunity.”

The facility will be connected to Norton by a large door that will allow for props and equipment to be transferred between stages. Actors will still be able to use Norton’s dressing rooms and support facilities.

The theater will provide a more intimate setting than large auditoriums due to the close proximity of the audience to the actors, emphasizing the emotions and expressions of the characters.

“Norton is a very difficult space to fill vocally,” said Charlton James, associate professor of theatre. “You’re trying to have a real moment on stage, and you’re having to scream. In a more intimate setting you could get away with a stage whisper.”

Black box theaters are ideal for many contemporary performances, due to their easily adaptable, minimalist stages. This will allow for the versatility and creativity required to put on unorthodox or offbeat productions.

“It will help the students add some diversity to their resumes,” said Ruebhausen. “It doesn’t help them to have nothing but musicals and Shakespeare.”

The theater will have moveable seats that can be arranged to suit the particular productions to create the desired effect on the audience. The stage will allow for setups as minimalist or elaborate as they need to be.

“It’s like starting with a blank canvas,” said James. “From an audience perspective, one thing they will enjoy is wondering what it will look like each time.”