Black box theater to begin construction this week

Gov. Robert Bentley has signed and approved UNA’s construction plans for the building of a black box theater just outside Norton Auditorium, said Dr. Steve Smith, vice president for Business and Financial Affairs.

The project, awarded to Butler Construction Company in Sheffield, will cost the university, with the aid of fundraisers, an estimated $1.8 to 1.9 million and should be completed by 2012, Smith said. Chris Butler, project manager with Butler Construction Company, said construction on the theater will begin this week.

The wait period of at least three years has not dampened enthusiasm for the project for professors in the Department of Music and Theatre.

“This [will be] a performance classroom that will be our own space,” said Dr. David Ruebhausen, associate professor of theatre. “Norton is the logical place to conduct classes, but the space is often rented out or other campus events are in here.”

The fact that the theater space is often shared can act as a distraction for UNA students.

Students would have more opportunities to participate in set design and lighting for performances. They will also be able to experiment with acting techniques in a more intimate setting, said Ruebhausen.