Students anticipate GUC game room

UNA students will soon get their taste of the new GUC game room, which will offer students a diversion from college studies.

The vacant room that students and faculty pass by in the GUC is close to functioning once again-as a new student game room. As the game room draws closer to completion within the week, students and faculty hold mixed emotions over the impact and changes the new facility might cause.

“It would probably help this area [GUC],” said Bessie Barkley, a cashier in the food court. “It will probably increase our business.”

For most appliances, such as video games, pool tables and ping pong tables, there will be an hourly charge for each activity through Lion Loot.

The game room’s grand opening will be Feb. 15 at 10 a.m. Bret Jennings, director of student events, and his committee are already envisioning a worthy reception, which includes students trying out the pool and ping pong tables, video games, board games, music and other surprises.

“[We’ll] pretty much just open the door, let people come in, walk through and let them tour it,” said Jennings. “We don’t want to charge them for the first five hours. We want people to come in and at least try it, to see what it is, have the games up and really kind of tour it. We’re not going to allow food or drink down there, but what we may do is have a reception area in the pit.”

Jennings also sees student employment as a benefit to opening the game room.

“We’ve now opened up or created between 10 to 12 student working jobs,” Jennings said. “We’re able to provide an outlet of student workers on campus, so that’s another big plus for the game room.”

Many students have been anticipating the game room’s opening for months and are excited as the grand opening draws near.

“I think it’s good exercise,” said UNA student Sabion Nehemiah. “It’s right by the food court, so you can burn a little bit after by playing video games.”

However, other students miss the old ARC that the new game room will replace once it opens, but they accept the change.

“I think it could be a positive thing, but I really think it’s going to be a distraction,” said UNA student Brittany Jordan. “I don’t think it should replace the computer room that it was. That was more beneficial for students than a game room.”

Jennings expresses pride over the teamwork taken throughout the project and credits all volunteers who worked diligently to see that the new facility meets its purpose.

“It was a part of everybody on campus: SGA, Cory Hamilton and the student surveys,” Jennings said. “With that being said, there is so much that goes on campus. Everybody has done their part in coming in to help make the game room a success.”