Technology gadgets expected for 2011

With every new year, there comes a sudden surge of new technologies, and 2011 is no different. Many consumer technologies now are related, in some way, to electronics. We’re a culture oriented around the devices that we interact with everyday. From laptops to laser printers, let’s face it-we’re obsessed with electronics. This year’s technological lineups include some of the most interesting gadgets and electronic gizmos from the web and magazines:

Samsung Galaxy Tab:

The device itself may be small, but at the heart of it is a one Ghz processor and support for up to 32 gigabytes of storage. It also possesses a three mega pixel still camera, and a 1.3 mega pixel motion capture feature for shooting 720 X 480. Perhaps not HD, but the Galaxy Tab’s motion capture is perfect for on-the-fly video conferences. Price varies depending on service providers.

Casio TRYX:

The acronym is no misnomer, because ‘TRYX’ is exactly what the newest camera from Casio has. It rotates independently on two axes a full 180 degrees, allowing the user to see photos that they are taking at awkward angles-such as around corners or above their heads. It records video at an appreciable 30 fps, 1080p. There is also a 12.1 mega pixel camera for use with taking still shots. Whether photos or video, all of it is captured through a 21 mm wide-angle lens, which boosts clarity and field of view, and that’s always a plus. It’s difficult to describe exactly what the TRYX looks like, because its design is so unique, and optimized for user comfort and ease. The TRYX starts at $250, perfect for the college student who is looking for a camera that functions and appears like no other.

Olympus XZ-1:

For those in the market for a new digital camera, the Olympus boils down to a compact camera designed to shoot in low light. And of all the lenses in compact cameras, the Olympus boasts the fastest. It also has a 720p movie mode, capturing video at 30fps. It also has six built-in art filters, and a three-inch OLED display. Starting at around $499, it may not be a good choice for the money conscious, but it features all the things one could ever need in a compact camera.

IRobot Scooba 230:

Anybody who has ever lived in a college dormitory can tell you that they occasionally-well, quite frequently, get dirty. And with classes, studying and jobs, it’s difficult for the average college student to do menial things like mopping. Perhaps the iRobot Scooba 230 is the answer. It’s half the size of its earlier models, and can be a real labor saver to stressed out and high-strung students. With it not being so large, it’s perfect for small dorm rooms. If you want to skip out on the chore of mopping your linoleum floors, the iRobot Scooba 230 starts at around $299 and is available this spring.

HP Pavilion dm1:

If there’s one thing a college student absolutely needs and uses the most, it’s a laptop computer. But not just any laptop. One that’s capable of streaming HD videos, is not too costly, and is versatile and lightweight. With a dual core AMD fusion E350 processor, it’s a web-surfing, video-watching machine. Available for around $450, the HP Pavilion is a perfect starter laptop for students always on the go.