SRC kicks off 12-week Leo’s Lose it Challenge

Siobhan Gehrs Staff Writer

University of North Alabama faculty, staff and students will compete to lose weight throughout 12 weeks of the spring semester in the Leo’s Lose it Challenge.

The challenge replaced the annual Scaleback Alabama competition to give UNA participants a better chance to win prizes.

“The most difficult part is sticking with it the whole 12 weeks,” said Student Recreation Center Coordinator of Fitness Glenda Richey. The challenge is for each contestant to lose 12 pounds throughout the three months.

Student SRC trainer Mabry Cook said, “Even if you don’t lose that pound or two in the first week, you’ll see progress. Just work hard.”

Trainers are available and free of charge to help individuals. The trainers can help contestants lose weight or put on muscle.

“Meet with a trainer at least once to get an understanding of what you should be doing,” Richey said.

During the first meet with a trainer, Cook said that he listens to the needs of the individual and discusses the workout plan and safety concerns.

Participants are also encouraged to use the gymnasium and the aerobic studio. Sophomore contestant Samantha Gross said, “My game plan is to exercise on my own, with friends and to attend different exercise classes offered at the SRC like Zumba and Ab Attack.”

Any UNA student, faculty member and staff member is allowed to register for Leo’s Lose it Challenge and must be weighed in the Fitness Center of the SRC. Members of both faculty and staff that are participating are given a 12-week membership to the SRC.

To access the different levels of the SRC, it is mandatory that an individual has his/her Mane Card.

An individual may sign up by his/herself or on a team consisting of at least four members. Initial weigh-ins took place Jan. 31 but are still open to interested individuals. The final weigh-ins will take place April 24.

“Only about 25 percent of participants stuck with it last year. The main goal is to get people to stick with it,” said Richey.

To keep everyone on track and motivated, she said she plans to send encouraging messages throughout the weeks. She said she will also send weekly exercise tips and nutritional advice to help participants.

Trainers focus on what benefits each individual can receive from the machines at the SRC. They also want everyone to feel comfortable going into a weight room and using the equipment. “I want them to learn how to exercise correctly,” said Cook.

Weight cards are available each week but are not required. Only the first and last steps on the scale are needed to qualify for prizes.

Individuals who lose 12 pounds are eligible for a prize. Each member of a team must lose 12 pounds to be eligible. The top three individuals and the top three teams will receive awards. Prizes will be announced at a later date.

“I would love to win a prize, but I am doing this just to prove to myself that I can. I love competitions, so this is just a way to get me into the exercising mood,” said Gross.

For more information on Leo’s Lose it Challenge or SRC trainers, contact Glenda Richey at [email protected].