Campus play deals with influence, prejudice in ’50s

UNA students and actors (from left) Spencer Cantrell, Kelvin Jones and Michael Baldwin rehearse “Master Harold and the Boys,” which opens Thursday.

Luke Smith Staff Writer

UNA theatre program’s latest production, “Master Harold and the Boys,” a play written by Athol Fugard and first produced in 1982 at Yale University, will be performed at Norton Auditorium Feb. 24-26.

The play, which is set in South Africa during the age of apartheid, is a study of the effects of prejudice and the influence on those it surrounds.

Its three lead characters are Hally, a 17-year-old student from a broken family, and his two African servants, Sam and Willie.

The play also examines themes of parental tyranny and its effects on children, repressed anger and friendship.

The play is set in a tea room, and instead of having the audience seated in the auditorium itself, 100 to 150 audience members will be seated on stage where the action of the play occurs.

The decision to produce the play was made last year, and rehearsals have been ongoing since December.

Charlton James, assistant professor of theatre and director of the play, said what partially motivated the decision to produce it was the opportunity to showcase the abilities of UNA theatre major Michael Baldwin, an African-American actor.

James, who has been familiar with the play since his years as a university student, said, “I think the play’s theme is universal and everyone can relate to it.

“The core message of the play is to be careful how you treat and what you say to the ones you love. It has always had a soft spot in my heart,” he added.

In addition to being the basis for a 1985 film adaptation starring Matthew Broderick, the play is the recipient of the 1982 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding New Play and the 1983 London Critics’ Circle Theatre Award for Best Play.

Tickets for the performance are $5 for UNA students and employees and $10 for the general public.