Shoals among safest places in Alabama

People walk down the streets of downtown Florence. The Congressional Quarterly maga- zine recently reported that the Florence-Muscle Shoals area is the safest metropolitan area in Alabama.

Sydney Threet Staff Writer

The Florence-Muscle Shoals area is the safest metropolitan area in Alabama, according to a recent report by Congressional Quarterly magazine. The report, which is released each year, ranks cities by population and state to determine which states and cities are the safest and most dangerous.

“Florence has always ranked high in these polls,” said Florence police Chief Rick Singleton.

Singleton said that parents of UNA students always welcome the low crime rate.

“I always have parents call about the crime rate before they send their students here,” Singleton said. He said that there have only been a few serious incidents involving UNA students this school year and that the incidents were resolved because of the hard work of both UNA and Florence police officers.

Singleton said that students have two great forces they can rely on. He said that the Florence and UNA police departments work together to get work done more efficiently, which is one of the primary visions of the Florence Police Department.

“I think it’s good to hear that Florence has such a low crime rate,” said Spencer Murphy, a UNA sophomore. Murphy said that his hometown is very close to areas with high crime rates, and he said he is happy to live in a safer city.

Despite the low crime rate, other students still see big problems with safety in the Florence-Muscle Shoals area and on the UNA campus.

“I think it is ridiculous that the parking deck does not have security cameras,” said UNA junior Josh Pospy, who knows of several car break-ins that have taken place in the parking deck. He thinks there would be a decrease in incidents if the culprits knew they would be on camera.

Singleton encouraged students to help keep Florence safe by using good judgment. One way he said students could help reduce the number of incidents in Florence is to always use crosswalks, which can be inconvenient but ensure safety.