Freshman receives $10,000 scholarship, new car

Tori Peden was awarded the Edward Fennel Mauldin Scholarship, the largest endowed scholarship in UNA’s history.

Lucy Berry News Editor

For UNA freshman Tori Peden, who is seeking a degree in trauma nursing, the concept of paying for college has been a little daunting. The first-generation college student found herself asking for additional hours at her part-time job, in hopes of saving more money for the next semester.

When Peden was informed she was one of 500 students that would be considered for the $10,000 Edward Fennel Mauldin Scholarship, the largest endowed scholarship in UNA’s history, she immediately had high hopes that she might win the award.

After the list of 500 students dwindled down to 12 and Peden remained on the list of possible recipients, she underwent an interviewing process but wasn’t sure that she would receive the $10,000 scholarship, which is renewable for up to five years.

“I told my aunt I was an applicant and that I was in the run for the scholarship, so we starting praying about it right then,” Peden said. “Two days after the interview, Ben Baker, director of Student Financial Aid, asked if I would accept the scholarship. My mind was going 90 to nothing and I was trying to process what he was saying until it finally hit me.”

Once Baker revealed the news to Peden, her aunt, who learned about her niece’s award prior to the meeting, came out from behind a door to surprise the shocked freshman student, who had relied on using a federal pell grant, high school graduation money and her own hard-earned savings to pay for her first semester of college at UNA.

“My family couldn’t stop crying when they found out about the award,” she said. “It is a blessing. It’s such a relief not to have to think about how many hours you are going to have to work to get the money saved up for next semester.”

Peden, who lives in Florence and graduated from Rogers High School this past May as one of the top 10 students from her class, was selected for the award based on her high school academic record and because she is a first-generation college student from Lauderdale, Colbert, Lawrence, Franklin, Morgan and Limestone counties who demonstrated financial need.

Mauldin was a farmer, banker and community leader from Town Creek who first organized The Bank of Florence in 1975 and merged it with First Colbert National Bank, which became Bank Independent. He served as chairman of Bank Independent until his death last March.

Baker, the UNA Financial Aid staff, President William Cale, Bank Independent and widow Mildred Mauldin, gathered Nov. 2 to officially present the $10,000 scholarship to Peden. After discovering Peden was without a car and had to commute to classes and work with friends and family, Mauldin’s widow extended the gift of a 2009 maroon Hyundai Accent to Peden, who was floored with emotion by the sudden onset of contributions from the Mauldin family and UNA administration.

“My childhood wasn’t very good-there was a struggle, but I got out of the situation and moved in with my aunt and uncle,” she said. “I was never the type of person to accept money and any money I had, I would save. I’m thrifty and go without stuff to make whatever goal I have. This award is an honor and is one less thing now that I have to worry about.”

An avid volunteer in previous years with her high school Key Club and Hospice, Peden chose to study nursing at UNA because of her desire to help others, especially in trauma situations, is strong. As tuition prices soar, the cost of living grows and the economy remains unstable, Peden looks forward to her future with optimism as the burden of paying for college has been lifted.

“I’m the type of person that loves being able to help people and do for others. I like that more than getting something in return,” she said. “It makes you feel better to make someone else happy. I know nursing is going to be tough, hard and expensive, so this scholarship is going to help me get the education I want.”