It’s On Us campaign promotes sexual assault awareness

The Office of Title IX, Student Government Association, University Programming Council and Athletics hosted It’s on Us in the Gulliot Performance Center Oct. 25.

It’s On Us is a national movement to end sexual assault. More than 150 students electronically pledged to take a stance against sexual assault.

“It’s on Us is really important to college campuses because it establishes that sexual assault will not be tolerated on campus,” said volunteer Madeline Negron-Flemming. “It also brings awareness to students that we have a safe place on campus for them if they have experienced sexual assault or know someone who has experienced sexual assault.”

The purpose of the event is to engage individuals in the conversation and to create a campus free from sexual assault and dating violence. Students pledged to recognize that nonconsensual sex is sexual assault.

Students also committed to identify situations where sexual assault may occur, intervene in situations where consent has not or cannot be given, and create an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.

Students used computers provided at the event to take the pledge via itsonus.org/pledge and entered their name, email address and ZIP code. Next, students selected UNA and agreed to the terms and conditions. Students clicked submit and their pledge was entered into the It’s on US national system.

Students who did not attend the event can take the pledge online.

After submitting their pledge, students signed their name on a black chalkboard. The chalkboard served as a visual representation of the number of students who took the pledge during the event.

Students also received Title IX resource cards and informational cards on healthy dating and signs of sexual assault. Students were able to take copies of the pledge with them and cards detailing how to take the pledge online.