Tips for succeeding after graduating from college

Life after graduation is something graduates fear yet look forward to. It is a middle stage between earning a degree and putting the degree to use. Luckily, there are several options available to students at UNA to use before graduation.

Career Center    

Located in the Guillot University Center, the Career Center offers several services to prepare students for a career after college. The website offers help with resumes, cover letters and job searches. There is a link on the website called Lion Jobs which posts job listings around the area for students to apply. There is even a link to find internships and co-op opportunities. The website lists dates of events, such as career fairs and mock interview days. The Career Center provides services for students who are unsure where to start after graduation.

Loans

Once graduation is over, the student loan payments begin to pour in. Student loans are stressful to think about and can cause a lot of worry for new graduates. Fret not because loans are easier when a loan service employee is involved and to know the terms of the loans inside and out, according to USA Today. USA Today talks about treating the loan payment just like a monthly bill or a tax. This way, payments are on time and in full. Students can find assistance through student financial services.

Update resume

College provides many opportunities, such as volunteer work, Greek life, clubs and professional work to use on resumes. When applying for jobs, it is important to have an updated resume. Luckily, there are many sources available to those who struggle with knowing what to put on a resume and how to update it. The Career Center is one, but there are thousands of online sources that work well, too.

Finding a job

Searching for work right out of college can be challenging  to graduates. Websites such as Indeed, ZipRecruiter and SnagAJob are available to make that a little bit easier. Applying and applying for countless jobs can become mundane, but the effort can pay off.

Nobody knows better about how to succeed after graduation than a university graduate. Milly Baine graduated from UNA and went on to start her own business, Southern Trash.

“Life can be super confusing after graduating and success can feel like a lot of pressure. You can’t be afraid to fail or screw up,” Baine said. “Find who you are and who you want to be, then go after it like you’ve got nothing to lose. If there is a time to try, it’s now. Commit yourself to your personal growth and to the well-being of your community. Surround yourself with positive people that encourage you. Don’t be afraid to make a move, because that’s what will make you.”