UNA hosts high ranking federal reserve officers

Students who are interested in economics and finance will have the opportunity to hear from prominent members of the Federal Reserve.

UNA’s Financial Intelligence Network and Institute for Innovation and Economic Development will host a speaking event featuring two senior principals of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

President and Chief Executive Officer Raphael Bostic and Senior Community and Economic Development Adviser Will Lambe will speak at the Shoals Chamber of Commerce April 16 at 3 p.m.

UNA President Kenneth Kitts said he is excited UNA is involved with the event.

“We are thankful to them for giving us an opportunity to learn about the Federal Reserve and their views on the current economic climate,” said Kitts. “It is always a pleasure to host speakers, like Dr. Bostic and Mr. Lambe, who have excelled in their careers and have them relate their stories to our students and the community.”

The FIN is a student club at UNA supporting students interested in economics and finance related subjects.

The Institute for Innovation and Economic Development is housed within UNA’s College of Business and supports the region and university’s need for building a strong entrepreneurial and business creation culture.

The FIN President Chris Gorbatoff said the event offers students a chance to learn from economic professionals.

“As a student, I tend to learn a lot from those who have real world experiences in the career areas that interest me,” said Gorbatoff.  “After studying about the Federal Reserve, this will be a great opportunity to meet decision makers from that organization.”

Bostic took office June 5, 2017, as the 15th president and CEO of the bank, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta’s website .  He is responsible for all the Bank’s activities, including monetary policy, bank supervision and regulation, and payment services. In addition, he serves on the Federal Reserve’s chief monetary policy body, the Federal Open Market Committee.

The website also states that Lambe specializes in community development finance and has written and spoken on a variety of topics ranging from rural development finance to public-private partnerships. Prior to joining the Atlanta Fed, Lambe carried out research and advised local governments on public-private partnership structures to attract private investment into distressed real estate.

Greg Carnes, dean of the College of Business said hosting guests of this caliber is always exciting.

“To have high-ranking officials from the Federal Reserve make themselves available to our students and community is truly exceptional,” he said. “I am proud of the role our FIN and Institute will play in hosting these noteworthy speakers.”