Campus gets lit at annual light the fountain

The Student Government Association and Vice President of Student Affairs David Shields will host the third annual Light the Fountain event March 14.

The event will take place at Harrison Plaza at 7 p.m. and will celebrate the beginning of spring through the lighting of the Harrison Fountain.

Vice President of UNA’s University Program Council Jose Figueroa-Cifuentes said the event means a lot to him.

“Lighting the Fountain is a fairly new event at UNA that for me represents a unity of school spirit with the campus, community and alumnus,” he said. “This will be the third annual lighting, and the attendance of the past (events) has been insane.”

This year’s event will feature guest speaker Wendell Wilkie Gunn who will light the fountain. In 1963, Gunn was the first African-American student of the Florence State Teachers College, which eventually became UNA.

Freshman Landon Lovette said the lighting of the fountain is a metaphorical event.

“I think the lighting of the fountain is so poetically beautiful,” he said. “Time began with a flash of light, and I think it’s great that this ceremony reflects that.”

Figueroa-Cifuentes said a lot of planning goes into this event.

“The planning portion of the Lighting of the Fountain has been an amazing ride,” he said. “We have so many networks working together nonstop. The only way to make this a successful event is by communicating clearly and proficiently.”

Figueroa-Cifuentes said the event could not happen without the hard work of Shields and the entire UPC branch.

Last year’s event was successful as more than 250 students attended, according to a 2017 issue of The Flor-Ala. Students enjoyed winning prizes and a small snack table Freshman Forum organized.

Junior Sarah Moore attended last year’s event and said she had a great time.

“It was a really great event that brought a lot of students together,” she said. “I am looking forward to (the event) this year, and I hope that even more people come and celebrate spring with us.”