Art department unveils graffiti exhibit

Students observe the art at the UNA Art Department’s “A Voice for All” graffiti exhibit. Featuring works from art students, faculty and alumni, the collection of designs covers the walls of an entire upstairs room in the University Art Gallery.

Some view graffiti as a messy form of vandalism. However, for some artists, it is just another medium used to express their thoughts and feelings.

The UNA Art Department’s graffiti art exhibit, titled “A Voice for All” had its official opening Feb. 20.

Filling an entire upstairs room in the University Art Gallery, the exhibit displays the works of art students, alumni and faculty.

Images painted on the wall include a giant caterpillar, a mummy and even characters from pop culture like Rick from “Rick and Morty” and Jack Torrance from “’The Shining.”

“It’s really great to see everyone’s creativity,” said senior Makayla Yeoman, who allowed the department to use a picture of her in the exhibit.

Sophomore Courtney Lucas said the project began with a blank room.

“It was nerve-racking (at the beginning) because we walked in, and the walls were all white,” she said. “Usually, it’s taboo to draw on walls.”

Students gathered at the exhibit for an opening reception. Art Department Chair Chiong-Yiao Chen, College of Arts and Sciences Dean Carmen Burkhalter and Assistant Professor of Art Parkerson Seward took time to speak about the works before guests took part in free food and browsing the gallery.

The exhibit will remain open through March 15.