Designs completed for new location of Culinary Arts

The Department of Culinary Arts and Tourism is one step closer to its new home.

The department will be moving into the Human Sciences, Hospitality and Design Building after completion of phase three of construction work, which includes completion of the culinary kitchen.

All concentrations under the new Connie D. McKinney Department of Human Sciences, have moved into the new building except for Culinary and Tourism.

Project Manager of UNA Facilities Administration and Planning Kevin Hudson said phase one of the building was finished in January, and the design plans for phase two are almost complete.

“We are planning on finishing the design for phase two by this May and then putting out a bid to the public,” said Hudson. “We are hoping to begin construction work for phase two this summer.”

Phase two will begin the construction of the demonstration kitchen and gallery along with interior design and merchandising studios and technology labs, said Kendra Mclain, Assistant professor of Interior Design.

Phase three will begin construction of the culinary kitchen and finish the upstairs classrooms, said Mclain.

There are no specific dates for when phase three of construction will begin, said Hudson.

“We don’t have a timeline for the construction work,” he said. “However, we have started the design of the commercial kitchen.”

The demonstration kitchen will be adjacent to the gallery. It will be built as a residential kitchen to bring educational opportunities to the community. The plan is to use this kitchen space for community outreach, said Mclain.

Freshman Mckenzie Ashmore said she is excited to see the improvements within the Department.

“I think it’s time for improvement within the culinary program, so the fact that changes are being made shows me that they are improving the department,” she said. “Right now, the culinary school is kind of secluded at the East Campus. It has been a great place for them, but since they have grown so much I think this will be better.”

Sophomore Chloe Blanton said he believes it will be more convenient to have the entire department under one roof.

“The building is so nice, and it’s going to allow our department to grow even more,” she said.

Mclain said this will be the first time these concentrations will be in the same building.

“We are very excited for Culinary and Tourism to move in,” Mclain said. “We are ready to have them under the same roof as us because we are a very collaborative department, and we work better when we are together.

Mclain said this year marks the 100th anniversary of this building and she is excited to bring it

new life on its 100th year anniversary.