Men’s sweep Bellarmine, women’s team falls

The UNA men’s tennis team earned a sweep against Bellarmine at home March 9, but the women’s team took the loss in a 5-4 contest for its first loss since the season opener.

Head coach Brice Bishop said he is happy about the dominance of the men’s team but disappointed in the ‘rough day’ the women’s team endured.

“The guys needed the win because they have been in tough situations,” Bishop said. “It was good to see them go out and handle the match.”

The women’s team had to forfeit one of its doubles matches after sophomore Claudia Arroyo went down with an ankle injury. In singles, the Lions’ luck did not get much better as five of their six singles matches went to the third set in the 5-4 team loss.

Freshman Nina Linke lost her first set before winning the last two sets to earn the win. Sophomore Claire DeGeorge lost 3-6 in the first set before rallying to a 7-6 win in the second set. DeGeorge took control of the last set posting a 6-0 win.

The comeback win gave DeGeorge faith in her game, she said.

“I fought for my team, and I didn’t want to let them down,” DeGeorge said. “It gives me a lot of confidence. Moving up to the five spot and winning made me feel really good about today.”

Senior Oli Ngouabeu, junior Donna Haycock and sophomore Nele Seitz all lost in three sets for the Lions.

The men started 3-0 with three doubles wins. Seniors Max Druppel and Benji Poire won 8-3, juniors Miguel Garcia and Taylor Ausbon did not allow a point with a 8-0 win, and freshman Gustavo Girao and junior Ray Donavon won 8-5.

The men continued their streak by winning all six singles matches to secure a sweep.  Garcia, Druppel, Poire, Girao, Ausburn and freshman George Markos all won in two sets. Ausborn swept with two 6-0 wins in singles.

The men’s team improve to 4-2 after the win.

The men’s team will look to continue winning, and the women’s team will try to bounce back after a close loss when No. 16 Cameron visits Florence March 11 for nonconference action.