Junior with musical history continues her passion

“She’s a very deep thinker, and I think that reflects in the music she writes a lot,” said freshman Miller Pelton.

Many professional musicians have attended UNA, including John Paul White and Darryl Worley. Like them, junior Emerson ‘Emmie’ Chambers hopes to graduate into the music industry.

Chambers has begun moving into the Shoals music scene with her talent in Americana (an American folk genre), which she displays through singing, guitar and piano.

She has contributed to one Christmas album, and she is in the works of a second with proceeds going to the Michael J. Fox Foundation.

“(I got to record) at Martie Maguire’s studio in Austin, (Texas), which was the coolest thing ever,” Chambers said.

Chambers began her professional career in 2014 when she met producer Michael Raskovsky.

“(Raskovsky) had heard me sing (at a local studio), and he (asked), ‘Hey, can you do a song for me?’ and we’ve been working together ever since,” she said.

Chambers said her dream is to do “anything in the music industry” and to perform with one of her five musical heroes: Jason Isbell, Ryan Adams, Cassie Chambers, Hollie Williams and Patti Griffin.

Chambers said her friend, senior Skylar Taylor, has helped her produce most of her music.

“I’ve never let her down, and she’s never let me down,” Taylor said. “We work well together. If she doesn’t become a front man or her own act, I expect her to be a session singer.”

Her music mirrors her personality, said freshman Miller Pelton.

“She’s a very deep thinker, and I think that reflects in the music she writes a lot,” Pelton said. “The first time I heard her (perform), it kind of blew me away. (Her voice) has a really deep, colorful tone to it — a gift that you’re born with. I think that people have already started to appreciate the talent she’s got.”

Taylor said Chambers is determined in every activity she does.

“She tries to be the best at everything she does, and I admire her for that,” he said.

Chambers said she remains thankful to UNA’s Department of Entertainment Industry for helping her take farther steps in her music career.

“The department and its professors are amazing,” she said. “They’ve given me so many opportunities, and I’ve gotten so many connections because of it.”

Chambers said when she is not working with music she is active on campus. She has served as one of the Step Sing captains for Alpha Delta Pi and is a current member of the Music and Entertainment Industry Students Association.

Taylor said he is glad to have met Chambers.

“She’s a great person and a great friend and always willing to lend a helping hand if she can,” he said.

Chambers is working on her first EP, which will be available later this semester in both CD and digital format. Her next public performance will be at the Mane Room April 5.