Big Band Bash to delight audience for Valentine’s Day

The UNA Department of Music will host the Valentine’s big Band Bash Feb. 12 at 3 p.m.in Norton Auditorium.

This year’s production will include the UNA Studio Jazz Band, the Shoals Big Band, the Swingin’ River Jazz Band and the Muscle Shoals High School Jazz Band.

Tickets are $10 per adult and $5 per student and are available at una.edu/music, at the George S. Lindsey box office or at the door.

The theme of the production is love songs. It will feature tunes from the jazz and swing music era.

The UNA Jazz Band had one of its pieces written specifically for it, said Director of Bands Lloyd Jones.

“The UNA Studio Jazz Band is performing a new arrangement that took two years to write,” Jones said. “In a 10-minute piece of work, it involves 27 of the biggest jazz hits ever. They’re all tunes that everyone will recognize, and it’s just a monumental piece that I think the crowd will be impressed with.”

He said Dave Roberson from Moulton wrote the piece.

Jones also said he encourages the students and the community to come out and watch the production of the Big Band Bash for an inexpensive Valentine’s Day date.

“It’s a great way for someone to take their significant other out to a concert for Valentine’s Day on a Sunday afternoon,” Jones said. “It’s affordable, and there’s door prizes. We give away two dozen roses, couple half dozen roses, boxes of candy and gift certificates to different restaurants.”

Junior Jonathan Mason said he is looking forward to performing in the UNA Jazz Band for the event.

“I played in the show last year, but I was in the Swinging River Jazz Band,” Mason said. “I’m excited to just be able to play with great musicians, and I enjoy that I get to hear the three other bands that are playing that day, too.”

Sophomore Jaimy Murff said he’s excited for this show.

“I love listening to and playing jazz music,” Murff said. “I just think it’s a fun concert. There are giveaways and plenty of fun stuff for everyone.”

Freshman Alexa Cortes said this is one of her favorite concerts.

“I’m a woodwinds player, so I don’t play jazz music, but I still love going to listen to the different bands’ productions,” Alexa said. “It’s also a really neat thing bringing in these surrounding jazz bands and coming together to put on one big show. It’s really something special, and I think it’s also something non-music major students would definitely enjoy.”