Students elect 2017-2018 SGA officers

One thousand four hundred twenty-three students voted in the 2017 Student Government Association elections, and the results are in.

Junior Hugo Dante will be next year’s president, with a vote of 790 to Bella Martinez’s 627 votes.

“I’m speechless,” Dante said. “I’m blown away right now.”

The next Vice President of Senate will be sophomore Jason Sparks. He received 796 votes to Seth Gipson’s 530.

“I’m excited,” Sparks said. “I’m definitely going to make the most of it. I’m doing this for the students. I’m making sure I don’t let anyone down.

“I hope every student looks at this year as not what I can accomplish but what we as a university can accomplish.”

Vice President of University Program Council will be senior Jose Figueroa-Cifuentes. He received 794 votes over sophomore JD Scott’s 554 votes.

“It’s almost a dream come true, very surreal, considering the struggles me and my family had to overcome to come into this country,” Figueroa-Cifuentes said. “This shows us that anyone is able to take an opportunity and run with it and actually get the results they want.”

Treasurer and sophomore Nikki Mathews will continue her position next year. She received 726 votes to Evan McFall’s 607 votes.

“I feel very accomplished,” Mathews said. “I feel like I deserve the position this year. I have worked very hard to be the best treasurer.”

There will be a run-off election for the secretary position between freshmen Samantha Thompson and Jessie Harbuck. The election will run Feb. 27 at 8 a.m. – March 1 6 p.m.