UNA soccer defeats Delta State at home

Freshman Shelby Wall (left) and sophomore Paige Porter look for a pass during UNA’s 3-1 win over Delta State Oct. 12 at the Bill Jones Athletic Complex. The Lions improved to 5-6 on the year and 4-3 in conference play.

The UNA soccer team earned a home Gulf South Conference victory Oct. 12 with a 3-1 win over the Delta State Lady Statesmen.

UNA (5-6, 4-3 GSC) had plenty of scoring opportunities against the Lady Statesmen (4-9, 0-8 GSC) in the first half with 12 shots, four of which were on goal.

Despite the scoring chances, the Lions entered halftime trailing 1-0.

“We created many chances,” said UNA head coach Scott Walker. “The game could’ve been seven or eight to one, but it’s just a matter of executing what we have worked on.”

The Lions roared back in the second half, scoring three unanswered goals, giving UNA the 3-1 win.

Sophomore forward Kylie Huey scored the equalizer in the second half, then sophomore midfielder Margarida Sousa scored with the assist by true freshman midfielder Shelby Wall. Senior midfielder Ele Costello scored a security goal minutes later.

“We finally came together as a team and started passing, and making combinations,” said senior defender Alyssa Bova. “Our defensive line has been together the past two or three years so we have a good chemistry and know how each other play.”

With the loss, Delta State continues an eight game losing streak on the season and a 24 game conference losing streak, dating back to 2014.

UNA’s next game is against Mississippi College Oct. 16 at the Bill Jones Athletic Complex.