Board of trustees approves employee salary adjustment

News Editor Kaitlyn Davis

The board of trustees discussed the new enrollment record and passed a resolution for a salary adjustment for all employees Sept. 16.

The board approved an increase in tuition during their July 2016 meeting, and the extra funds will be used for several areas.

The additional funds earned from the tuition increase will be used to “provide funds for increases in operational costs, expand additional scholarship offerings, fund faculty promotions and provide a three percent cost-of-living salary adjustment to be effective Dec. 1 for all regular full-time and part-time employees,” according to the resolution.

The added funding is also due to the increase in student enrollment.

With 7,492 students enrolled for the fall semester, this is the largest enrollment UNA has ever seen.

“Not only are we graduating champions, but we’re also breaking records here at the University of North Alabama,” said Vice President of Enrollment Management Ron Patterson.

The number of students transferring from UNA to other universities is down as well, Patterson said.

Other approved resolutions include new bylaws for the UNA Foundation, new lighting in Norton Auditorium and Indigenous Peoples Day, a celebration of local Native Americans Oct. 10.

The new bylaws for the UNA Foundation no longer require the board to approve changes made within the bylaws. The UNA Foundation helps acquire external funding and handles donations to the university.

In addition to these, the board also passed a resolution to begin accepting contract bids for the construction of the Anderson College of Nursing.