Students, faculty, staff receive awards for accomplishments

Students, faculty and staff received awards for their academic achievements and teaching methods at the University Awards Gala in the Guillot University Center April 25.

A student from each college received the Dean’s Award, “which recognizes an outstanding senior,” said former Student Government Association president Nick Lang.

Gabrielle Fuqua received the Dean’s Award for the College of Arts & Sciences.

“Gabrielle is a member of the UNA Vocal Jazz Ensemble and UNA Chamber Choir,” said Department Chair and Associate Professor of Sociology and Family Studies Yaschica Williams.

The Dean’s Award of the College of Business went to Vincent Chiriaco.

“Notably, he was selected as one of only eight students for participation in the 2015 research experience for undergraduates at the College of Staten Island in New York,” Lang said.

Olivia Marlow received the Dean’s Award for the College of Education and Human Sciences.

“She is a student member of the Child Life Council and has served as a grief counselor at the Caring House for Children who have lost a loved one,” Williams said.

Lauren Hester was the recipient of the Dean’s Award for the College of Nursing.

“(Hester) has received numerous accolades from the nursing staff and patients she has cared for during her clinical rotations,” Lang said.

The university also presented honors such as the Eleanor Gaunder Phi Kappa Phi Excellence in Teaching Award, Outstanding Advising award and the W.T. McElheny Award.

Assistant Professor of Nursing Kristy Oden received the Eleanor Gaunder Phi Kappa Phi Excellence in Teaching Award for her outstanding teaching methods.

The Outstanding Advising award recognized Associate Professor of Sociology and Family Studies Amber Paulk for her advising skills and benevolent attitude.

Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs Clinton Carter received the W.T. McElheny Award honoree is given to a faculty member who positively impacted the student body.