Now hiring: Social Media Coordinator

The Flor-Ala welcomed its new staff Feb. 11, but there is one position still open. At the Feb. 5 Student Media Board meeting, officials decided to reconfigure and rebrand the former online editor position as the social media coordinator.

In addition to past responsibilities such as posting articles to Facebook and Twitter, the social media coordinator will use Periscope at events, upload the digital issue of The Flor-Ala and maintain the website.

“We revamped the title to better suit the needs of The Flor-Ala and its news website,” said Student Media Adviser Scott Morris. “We want to reach more student readers through social media and promote engagement. The new job title also better reflects that position’s responsibilities.”

Applications are open until the job is filled.

“Working in student media provides valuable, real-world experience and can set you apart from other UNA graduates when you enter the job market,” Morris said. “Being able to show your (success) at The Flor-Ala or Diorama can make the difference between landing a job or just being another college grad.”

Graduate, undergraduate and international students may apply for this paid position regardless of major.

“It’s taught me everything I need to know about journalism and writing in general,” said current Managing Editor and former Online Editor Jasmine Fleming. “If it weren’t for The Flor-Ala, I don’t think I would have enjoyed college nearly as much.”

All Student Media positions receive payment via scholarship.