Outdoor Adventure Center offers benefits to college students

UNA students participate in a game of kayak polo in the basement of Flowers Hall. Kayak polo is one of the many benefits provided by the OAC.

For students looking to find a place to relax and enjoy outdoor adventures, look no further than the Outdoor Adventure Center.

Located across from Norton Auditorium on West Irvine Street, the OAC has all the camping, hiking and scuba diving equipment you need for free. The OAC has over 30 outdoor equipment items available for students to check out, which includes camping essentials.

“We have everything you need for your basic camping trips,” said Outdoor Adventures and Special Events Coordinator McKenzie Martin. “This includes hammocks, disc golf discs, tents and many more things.”

The OAC provides weekly clinics for students to learn camping skills. These clinics vary in discussion from packing a backpack and kayaking to cooking food outdoors, Martin said.

Students are also able to go on trips with the OAC to different outdoor spots in the area on weekends.

“Our trips are geared to things you can do locally,” Martin said. “It’s about introducing new spots to students so they can go on their own sometime.”

Weekly activities include slacklining during the warm months and kayak polo during the winter months, she said.

“Everything we do is beginner-level, so don’t let any activity intimidate you,” said graduate assistant Patrick Shremshock. “Everything is free, so why would students not take advantage of (the OAC)?”

Martin said she agreed students should take advantage of the numerous opportunities the OAC has to offer to students.

“We are a division of the Student Recreational Center, so it’s already paid for (with tuition),” Martin said. “You and your friends can come in and rent out a kayak for no charge.”

The OAC has couches and a TV available for students to come in and relax between classes.

“We try to make this a very relaxing atmosphere for students,” Martin said. “I usually have my cat running around that students like to play with.”

The OAC is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.